Norton antivirus, like several other applications in the same vein has come up with a bit of extra utilities. The most prominent of these utilities is the toolbars. Theoretically, these additions are supposed to protect the system from the most insidious of infections while surfing online. This protection entails but is limited to data encryption, anti-phishing and protection from the more might we say bad websites. But what the enterprising and utterly reliable antivirus software fail to mention, is that sometimes their overtly alert tendencies puts a damper in the web browsing experience.
To disable this additional toolbar, Norton support USA/Australia has come with a small but an effective methodology.
Steps to disable Norton antivirus tool bar from the browsers.
- Launch the web browser: While on the desktop, double click the internet explorer icon. This obvious step would be the first on the road to disable the titular toolbar.
- Navigate to tools: All of the additional add-ons of the browser might be listed while clicking to tools. To do this, click on tools-> select “manage Add-ons” -> you would see the name “Norton.dll” (This dynamic link library is responsible for the mentioned utility installation into the browser.
- Go to “run”: After you have jotted down the name of the file responsible, Go to start -> Run
- Enter the code: In the “run” dialogue, you have to type in this particular code regsvr32 /u \”C:\Program Files\Symantec\filename.\”. Here, the filename is essentially the one you wrote down given in step 2. Depending upon your operating system, this filename could have a slight variation associated with it. In such cases, write up those.
- Enter to the program: Typing in enter after the previous would direct you to the toolbar. From there on go to the Norton System Security icon available on your system tray.
- Go to Settings To disable the titular utility in the browser you have to understand its purpose and put a stop on that. To that end, go to settings -> uncheck the checkbox next to the “phishing protection” tab.
- System Restart: To fully instill the recently made modification, you have to restart the system. After that the utility would be disabled from the browser.
The procedure given is extremely comfortable to comprehend, but if you are still looking for more, contact Norton Customer Support.